- Customer’s problem
Customer found it difficult to maintain foaminess during the entire heat. Steel melt shop operators tried to increase lime/ dolomitic lime and carbon injection without much success.
- Power interruption for temperature, sampling and during was one of the reasons to suppress foamy slag
- Burner profile needed optimization
- The time taken to lift electrodes and roof was high
After a detailed investigation, we found serious issues with the quality and the timing of the carbon injection; the lime and dolomitic lime addition balance and timing. After implementing the recommended process changes, the customer reported positive results.
- Burner profile optimized
- Lime and dolomitic lime addition adjusted
- Carbon quality issues addressed
- Power interruption practice stopped and electrode /roof lifting pressure adjusted.